When you publish websites, write blog posts and make them available on the internet, it’s not uncommon, that you also want to get statistics about how many people read your stuff, how many people visit your website etc. And you also want to enable comments under your blog posts, giving people an opurtunity to ask questions or just leave a reply. For the first case Google Analytics is the most widely used solution.
Many people use Google Chrome, because they like it’s fancy syncing feature. You know, open a tab on your PC and just continue on your phone. Or because of the nice built-in password manager. Just save that damn password and it’s securely stored in your Google account and available everywhere. But what about privacy? You can forget it when you use Chrome. You have no privacy there. Google can read all of your browser history, passwords and bookmarks.
It is not uncommon for me to jump back and forth between software. Be it with Linux distributions (Solus is my current favorite), blogging engines (Ghost for most of my sites) or the software I use to run my server. Up to now, I have always done it this way, that I installed the individual programs I have (like Ghost for a blog) directly in the server system (Ubuntu 16.
GitHub sometimes experiences some downtimes. Though they are usually quickly fixed, you can still ask yourself if you shouldn’t make your own backup, just to be sure that you don’t have to stop all your work because of a few outages at Github. In this article I want to show how you can install Gitea on a Ubuntu 18.04 server (maybe at DigitalOcean - sign up via this link and you’ll get $10 free credit).
Telegra.ph is Telegram’s new Medium alternative made for easy and also anonymous publishing. It’s quite similar to Medium, except the need to log in. Of course you CAN log in, but it isn’t necessary. I build an app for this new platform, because visiting Telegra.ph in the mobile browser on my phone worked, but text formatting didn’t. A month ago I started this project and it was just a simple wrapper, which uses the build in WebView on Android, so formatting still didn’t work.